21 October 2009

Anong balita? 102109

Top news for the day
Source: Manila Bulletin Online

Oil firms face harsh criticism
Oil companies faced their harshest criticism yet from the second-highest legislative official in the land following their decision to raise the pump prices of their petroleum products.

Noynoy to act as sponsor in Mar-Korina wedding
Senator Noynoy Aquino will act as one of the principal sponsors in the wedding of Senator Mar Roxas and popular broadcaster Korina Sanchez.

Estrada to run for president in 2010 elections
Former President Joseph Estrada declares to the nation his decision to run in next year’s May elections as the chase for the 2010 presidential crown begins.

10 days left to register unlicensed guns – PNP
The PNP warned delinquent gun owners and holders of unlicensed firearms to take the opportunity of registering their guns in the last 10 days of the amnesty period.

17 cops honored for returning recovered P2.9-million ransom money
Seventeen members of the Valenzuela City police and the Regional Police Intelligence Operation Unit (RPIOU) were honored for "demonstrating honesty and utmost integrity" by returning P2.9 million in ransom money recovered from a kidnap for ransom gang early this month.

MMDA denies dumping wastes in Marikina River
The MMDA denied that flood wastes and other debris left by tropical storm “Ondoy” are being illegally dumped in the Marikina River.

Donated meals poison evacuees
More than 200 typhoon evacuees were believed to have fallen victim to food poisoning after they ate packed meals given by a religious group in San Pedro, Laguna.

Palace says Mrs. Arroyo eligible to run next year
President Arroyo can run for an electoral post next year and doesn’t even have to campaign due to overwhelming public support for her in Pampanga, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Windows 7 on sale starting October 22
Finally, the much anticipated new operating system from Microsoft – Windows 7 – will be made available starting Wednesday, October 2 2 , 2009.


Showbiz Chika for the day
Source: GMA News Online

PEP: Glaiza de Castro's sickness stress-related
Show business is a hectic world and fatigue can take its toll on an actor's health without them even realizing it. This is exactly what happened to Glaiza de Castro.

Japanese musician Kazuhiko Kato found dead
Police say Japanese musician Kazuhiko Kato, founder of the Sadistic Mika Band, has been found dead in a hotel room in an apparent suicide. He was 62.

Jackson's ex-wife seeking $500K in lawsuit
LOS ANGELES – A Florida woman who told a television interviewer that Michael Jackson's ex-wife was only interested in getting money from the singer's family and wasn't interested in...

Survivor Philippines Palau: 2 castaways voted off in back-to-back tribal councils
Isang gabi, dalawang Tribal Council. Ito ang nangyari sa Friday episode ng Survivor Philippines: Palau sa GMA 7.

No punches thrown as Tyson, Holyfield meet on Oprah show
No punches were thrown. And neither bit off the other's ear. Instead, mutual praise and admiration dominated during a face-to-face meeting between ex-world champion boxers Mike Tyson and...

Pinoy film wins award in Pusan filmfest
A multi-awarded Filipino film about the lives of four men in Manila has won yet another award in one of Asia's leading film festivals Friday.

Father of Anna Nicole's daughter due to testify
LOS ANGELES – Larry Birkhead, who gained fame in a custody battle over Anna Nicole Smith's daughter, was due to testify in the preliminary hearing for two doctors and the man who once fought...

Defense rests in Bahamas Travolta extortion trial
NASSAU, Bahamas – An emergency medical technician involved in attempts to save John Travolta's teenage son spent most of Thursday on the witness stand explaining why he gave conflicting reports...

Megan Fox gets top dollar in Armani endorsement
LOS ANGELES – Confirming that endorsement deals still have cachet in a recession, "Transformers" star Megan Fox is pulling down a seven-figure payday to model Armani underwear and jeans.


Da who for today

Source: Wikipedia

Jaime Zobel y Fitz (born 1934), also known as Jaime Zobel de Ayala, is a prominent Filipino businessman and photographer of German, Basque and Spanish descent. He was the last managing partner of Ayala y Compañía in 1967 when the company changed to a corporation. He served as both president and chairman of Ayala Corporation from 1983 to 2005 (succeeding his first cousin, Enrique Zobel, when he retired as president). In 2006, he retired as chairman; he is current chairman emeritus of the corporation. His eldest son, Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, is chairman and chief executive officer of Ayala while his younger son, Fernando Zobel de Ayala, is president of the corporation. Honors include: Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, France, 1980; Comendador al Mérito Civil, Spain, 1968; Doctor of Laws (honoris causa), University of the Philippines, 1991; “Management Man of the Year”, Management Association of the Philippines, 1987; Senator Award, highest honor bestowed by the Jaycees, 1986; Doctor of Business Management (honoris causa) De La Salle University, Manila, 1985
Zobel Graduated from Harvard College in 1957 with a Bachelor of Arts in architectural sciences and attended the Advanced Management Program in the Far East conducted by the Faculty from the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration in Baguio City, Philippines in 1963.

He was Philippine ambassador to the Court of St. James's in London and the Scandinavian countries from 1970 to 1974. He is married to Beatriz Miranda Barcon Zobel de Ayala. Together they have 7 children: Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, 1959, married, Elizabeth Eder;Fernando Zobel de Ayala, 1960, married, Catherine Marie Silverio; Beatriz Susana Zobel de Ayala, 1961, widow, Juan Fernandez de Araoz Urquijo (deceased);Patrisha Zobel de Ayala, 1962, married, Walter Caro H. Anderson;Cristina Zobel de Ayala, 1964, married, Ignacio Fontes Suarez de Puga;Mónica Zobel de Ayala, 1967, married, Guillermo Otañez Pla; Sofía Zobel de Ayala, 1968, married, Francisco José Roxas Elizalde.

In 2007, Jaime Zobel de Ayala tied with Henry Sy as the richest person in the Philippines with a net worth of $2.6 Billion according to Forbes magazine. Zobel de Ayala and family, however, slipped to 3rd in Forbes magazine's 2008 list of 40 wealthiest Filipinos due to 46% drop in their conglomerate Ayala Corp. shares, which were worth $800 million.

The February 2008 Forbes Asia magazine’s first Heroes of Philanthropy list included four Filipinos - Jaime Zobel de Ayala, John Gokongwei, Ramon del Rosario Jr., and Oscar Lopez. The list is composed of four philanthropists each from 13 selected countries and territories in Asia.


Gospel for the day
Source: The Daily Gospel Online


Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 12:39-48.

Be sure of this: if the master of the house had known the hour when the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. You also must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come." Then Peter said, "Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?" And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute (the) food allowance at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master on arrival finds doing so. Truly, I say to you, he will put him in charge of all his property. But if that servant says to himself, 'My master is delayed in coming,' and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, to eat and drink and get drunk, then that servant's master will come on an unexpected day and at an unknown hour and will punish him severely and assign him a place with the unfaithful. That servant who knew his master's will but did not make preparations nor act in accord with his will shall be beaten severely; and the servant who was ignorant of his master's will but acted in a way deserving of a severe beating shall be beaten only lightly. Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted
with more.


Word for the day
Source: Merriam Webster Online

handsel • \HAN-sul\ • noun
1 : a gift made as a token of good wishes or luck
*2 : money given by a buyer to a seller to bind a bargain

Example Sentence:
Having signed the papers and handed over the agreed-upon handsel of $200, Caroline was now the proud owner of a small sailing skiff.

Did you know?
According to an old custom in the British Isles, the first Monday of the new year is Handsel Monday, a day to give a small gift or good luck charm to children or to those who have served you well. As long ago as the year 1200, English speakers were using the ancestor of "handsel" for any good luck charm, especially one given at the start of some new situation or condition. By the 1500s, traders were using "handsel" for the first cash they earned in the morning -- to them, an omen of good things to follow. Nowadays, it can also be used for the first use or experience of something, especially when such a use gives a taste of things to come.


Lesson for the day
Source: Art’s Library

Sandpiper To Bring You Joy

She was six years old when I first met her on the beach near where I live. I drive to this beach, a distance of three or four miles, whenever the world begins to close in on me. She was building a sandcastle or something and looked up, her eyes as blue as the sea. "Hello," she said. I answered with a nod, not really in the mood to bother with a small child. "I'm building," she said. "I see that. What is it?" I asked, not caring. "Oh, I don't know, I just like the feel of sand." That sounds good, I thought, and slipped off my shoes. A sandpiper glided by."That's a Joy," the child said."It's a what?" "It's a Joy. My mama says sandpipers come to bring us joy."The bird went gliding down the beach. "Good-bye joy," I muttered to myself, "hello pain," and turned to walk on.


I was depressed; my life seemed completely out of balance."What's your name?" She wouldn't give up."Robert," I answered. "I'm Robert Peterson.""Mine's Wendy... I'm six.""Hi, Wendy."She giggled. "You're funny," she said.In spite of my gloom I laughed too and walked on. Her musical giggle followed me."Come again, Mr. P," she called. "We'll have another happy day."The days and weeks that followed belong to others: a group of unruly Boy Scouts, PTA meetings, an ailing mother.

The sun was shining one morning as I took my hands out of the dishwater. "I need a sandpiper," I said to myself, gathering up my coat. The ever-changing balm of the seashore awaited me. The breeze was chilly, but I strode along, trying to recapture the serenity I needed. I had forgotten the child and was startled when she appeared."Hello, Mr. P," she said. "Do you want to play?""What did you have in mind?" I asked, with a twinge of annoyance."I don't know, you say.""How about charades?" I asked sarcastically.The tinkling laughter burst forth again. "I don't know what that is.""Then let's just walk."

Looking at her, I noticed the delicate fairness of her face."Where do you live?" I asked."Over there." She pointed toward a row of summer cottages.Strange, I thought, in winter. "Where do you go to school?""I don't go to school. Mommy says we're on vacation."She chattered little girl talk as we strolled up the beach, but my mind was on other things. When I left for home, Wendy said it had been a happy day. Feeling surprisingly better, I smiled at her and agreed.

Three weeks later, I rushed to my beach in a state of near panic. I was in no mood to even greet Wendy. I thought I saw her mother on the porch and felt like demanding she keep her child at home."Look, if you don't mind," I said crossly when Wendy caught up with me, "I'd rather be alone today,"She seems unusually pale and out of breath. "Why?" she asked.I turned to her and shouted, "Because my mother died!" and thought, my God, why was I saying this to a little child?"Oh," she said quietly, "then this is a bad day.""Yes," I said, "and yesterday and the day before and-oh, go away!""Did it hurt? " she inquired.'Did what hurt?" I was exasperated with her, with myself."When she died?""Of course it hurt!!!!" I snapped, misunderstanding, wrapped up in myself. I strode off.

A month or so after that, when I next went to the beach, she wasn't there. Feeling guilty, ashamed and admitting to myself I missed her, I went up to the cottage after my walk and knocked at the door. A drawn looking young woman with honey-colored hair opened the door."Hello," I said. "I'm Robert Peterson. I missed your little girl today and wondered where she was.""Oh, yes, Mr. Peterson, please come in. Wendy spoke of you so much. I'm afraid I allowed her to bother you. If she was a nuisance, please accept my apologies.""Not at all -- she's a delightful child," I said, suddenly realizing that I meant it. "Where is she?""Wendy died last week," Mr. Peterson. "She had leukemia. Maybe she didn't tell you."Struck dumb, I groped for a chair. My breath caught."She loved this beach; so when she asked to come, we couldn't say no. She seemed so much better here and had a lot of what she called happy days. But the last few weeks, she declined rapidly." Her voice faltered."She left something for you ... if only I can find it. Could you wait a moment while I look?"I nodded stupidly, my mind racing for something, anything, to say to this lovely young woman.

She handed me a smeared envelope, with MR. P printed in bold, childish letters. Inside was a drawing in bright crayon hues -- a yellow beach, a blue sea, and a brown bird. Underneath was carefully printed: A SANDPIPER TO BRING YOU JOY.Tears welled up in my eyes, and a heart that had almost forgotten to love opened wide. I took Wendy's mother in my arms."I'm so sorry, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I muttered over and over, and we wept together.

The precious little picture is framed now and hangs in my study. Six words -- one for each year of her life -- that speak to me of harmony, courage, undemanding love. A gift from a child with sea-blue eyes and hair the color of sand-who taught me the gift of love.

NOTE: The above is a true story sent out by Robert Peterson. It serves as a reminder to all of us that we need to take time to enjoy living and life and each other. "The price of hating other human beings is loving oneself less." Life is so complicated, the hustle and bustle of everyday traumas, can make us lose focus about what is truly important or what is only a monetary setback or crisis.This weekend, be sure to give your loved ones an extra hug, and by all means, take a moment, even if it is only ten seconds, and stop and smell the roses.


Joke for the day
Source: Art’s Funbox

GMA Goes To Heaven

"GMA dies and goes to heaven. The heavenly court is gathered to welcome all the newcomers to heaven. God the Father is there seated on his throne in all his splendor. The Second Person of the Trinity is there also, and the Holy Spirit, the Virgin Mary, and all the saints.


As GMA enters, everyone stands up ­ except God the Father, who does not get up from his throne. Jesus, the second Person of the Trinity turns to him, and says, "Heavenly Father, what's the matter? Why don't you stand up to welcome GMA?

God the Father replies: "I am afraid to lose my seat. If I stand up she will take my throne."

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your opinion?